What is deep scaling
Deep Scaling and Polishing are part of dental periodontal treatments here at Dr. Keith’s Dental Clinic. Deep scaling is the process of removing dental tartar from the surfaces of the teeth while polishing is the smoothening of the root surfaces and removing any infected tooth structure. Both procedures help in halting the progress of gum diseases.
In order to remove bacteria, tartar, and debris that are deposited under the gum line, a procedure like Deep Scaling in Malolos Bulacan is needed. This Periodontics treatment also provides the right prevention and offers a cure to combat periodontal complications.
The persistent stay of dental plaque and debris in the gum line creates the right condition for bacteria to collect, and cannot be removed by brushing and flossing.
To further elaborates, here is a list of the main benefits of Deep Scaling and Polishing.
- It protects your teeth. The collection of oral bacteria can weaken the structure of your gum and bone tissue. Once these tissues are damaged, your teeth can experience shifting or worse, it can weaken the hold of your teeth to its sockets. In other words, gum diseases can lead to tooth loss.
- It prevents diseases. Dental bacteria produced by plaque and debris can affect not only the health of your teeth by also some part your body. By undergoing deep Scaling and Polishing, it aids in removing these bacteria and stop the periodontal disease from progressing in your mouth and other parts of the body.
- It keeps your teeth sparkly and attractive. Tartar and plaque are never a pretty sight. Plus, dental stains can also keep you from achieving a brighter and confident smile.
- It gives you better breath. Halitosis, also known as persistent bad breath is one of the sure sign of periodontal disease. The collected food particles and debris can result in a bad smell and taste in your mouth. Don’t let rotting foods stay deep in your gum pockets. Cleaning procedures such as deep scaling and polishing, you can expect a fresher breath in the future.
To start, the dentist will give you a local anesthetic to numb any discomfort and pain.
Depending on the severity of the gum disease, the dentist can use different equipment and method. However for simple ones, the dentist will utilize a dental scaler to reach deeper areas in your gum pockets.
Once the dentist deems that the scaling removed all deposits, he/she will proceed in polishing the teeth. He/she will smooth the newly cleaned areas by using a cup filled with fluoride.
Depending on the case of the patient’s history, the procedure may take one or few deep cleaning and polishing sessions before the expected results can be achieved.
SET YOUR APPOINTMENT NOW!
TUESDAY TO SATURDAY
9:00AM - 6:00PM
0917-510-3866 | 0925-510-5983
Deep Scaling in Malolos Bulacan is recommended to all people. Even if there are no persisting gum diseases, a simple deep scaling and polishing can help in achieving an optimal oral health.
However, if there are symptoms of periodontal disease present, a more serious take of this procedure is needed.
These symptoms include:
- Bad breath or halitosis
- Bone loss
- One or more gum pockets is greater than 4 millimeters deep
- White specks in your mouth
- Pus between your gums and teeth
- Sores in your mouth
- Gum recession
- A problem in your bite
Thanks to numbing agents, pain during Deep Scaling and Polishing lessen over time. However, you might expect discomfort during and after the treatment.
During the treatment, you might be asked to hold your jaw open in the most entirety of the procedure. You can also feel the sensation of the physical scraping feeling along the teeth as the area is cleaned and smoothened. Not painful for most patients, but this sensation is noted to bring unease to others.
After the treatment, you might feel some discomfort as it is ever present in any dental procedures. You can discuss this with your dentist before you undergo the process.
- You can feel your teeth to be a bit more sensitive to temperature, and bleeding might occur afterward.
- Your dentist will discuss aftercare for you. But usual rules can be no brushing and flossing for the next 6 hours. Instead, you will be asked to take the salt water remedy as a way to advance the recovery of your gums.
Regular dental cleaning is the process of removing tartar and debris that is above the gums. On the other hand, deep cleaning and polishing is the process of removing, tartar and hard deposits that is below the gums and smoothening the newly cleaned areas.